U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and Yamaha Motor Co. announced a safety recall of approximately 20,000 Grizzly all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), due to a problem with the steering column that presents a risk of injury or death.
Yamaha has received 19 reports of the steering column cracking or breaking, which can cause the rider to lose control of the vehicle and fall.
The recall affects the following non-power steering models of Yamaha ATVs:
- Grizzly 550 (2009 and 2010) – model numbers YFM550FGHY, YFM550FGY, YFM550FGHZ and YFM550FGZ
- Grizzly 700 (2008, 2009, and 2010) – model numbers YFM700FGHX, YFM700FGX, YFM700FGHY, YFM700FGY, YFM700FGHZ, and YFM700FGZ
The ATVs were sold through Yamaha dealers nationwide from October 2007 to March 2010. The CPSC warns consumers to stop using the Grizzly ATVs immediately and contact the nearest Yamaha dealer for a free repair.
This recall involves the non-power steering models. Model names can be found on both the right and left hand side of the unit on the side panel.The following model numbers are affected by this recall:
Model Year Model Name Model Number
- 2009 Grizzly 550 YFM550FGHY
- 2009 Grizzly 550 YFM550FGY
- 2010 Grizzly 550 YFM550FGHZ
- 2010 Grizzly 550 YFM550FGZ
- 2008 Grizzly 700 YFM700FGHX
- 2008 Grizzly 700 YFM700FGX
- 2009 Grizzly 700 YFM700FGHY
- 2009 Grizzly 700 YFM700FGY
- 2010 Grizzly 700 YFM700FGHZ
- 2010 Grizzly 700 YFM700FGZ
Injuries and Recalls
Sometimes, products are called off of the market in time to prevent any injuries or deaths, but this is not always the case. Defective atv and off road vehicles can cause myriad types of disasters and deaths and, if the company was aware of the problem and didn’t correct it or if they were negligent in being unaware of the issue, you may be able to sue them for damages. If you have been injured by one of the defective atv’s listed above contact the Rasansky Law Firm today for a free case evaluation.